If you are interested in volunteering or have a question about volunteering, please email: Volunteer@shadowhillsridingclub.org
Our Therapeutic Riding Volunteers and Equine Assisted Therapy volunteers work directly with the Instructor to provide assistance prior to and during the therapeutic riding lessons. The main responsibilities include participating in the lesson by leading the horse or side-walking. As a volunteer for therapeutic sessions, it is best to be able to commit to the same day and time for a full 8 week session. Even if it is only for one session on a given day and time, your dependability is essential to our program and the students. Volunteers who work on the ranch with or near the horses must be a minimum of 15 years of age. All Therapeutic Riding and Equine Assisted Therapy volunteers must be able to…….
- lift up at least to 20 lbs. i.e., a saddle
- walk and jog on uneven ground.
- commit to a consistent “session” schedule
- dress in an appropriate and professional manner
- assist with barn and arena chores.
- perform miscellaneous ranch tasks as assigned by staff
- help out with special events
Horse knowledge and experience is very helpful, but not required
Volunteer opportunities include but are not exclusive to:
*Leading & Side/walking during therapeutic riding sessions
Special Projects and Events
*special training required regardless of prior horse experience
Volunteers for our Saddles for Soldiers program or Saddles for Serenity program must be 18 yrs old and have some
horse experience.There is a Mandatory Dress code regardless of your volunteer position:
Long pants or jeans and appropriate shoes or boots. Please do not wear sandals or slip on sneakers. In extreme heat, long shorts are permitted but please no shorty shorts or revealing tops.
Hats must be either baseball hats or hats that tie and will not blow off for safety and protection.
New Volunteer Orientations are MANDATORY for anyone interested in joining our volunteer system in ANY capacity.
- If you intend to come to our next new volunteer orientation, please email email@example.com to confirm your attendance so that we can keep you updated should there be any changes in the orientation date/time.
- Please fill-out and bring with you the SHRC Volunteer Registration Forms
- All volunteers should review the SHRC VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK so that they are familiar with all policies and procedures.
- New volunteers must attend at least one training session and orientation before you can begin volunteering. Please review the SHRC Volunteer Training (Grooms, Leaders, Side walkers) prior to attending the training session if possible.
- Volunteer Orientation Dates (New Dates for 2019!):
All trainings are from 4:00pm-5:00pm
- Volunteer Training Dates (New Dates for 2019!):
All trainings are from 4:00pm-7:00pm
Please RSVP to Volunteer@ShadowHillsRidingClub.org and let us know the date you will be attending.
Quotes from a few of our beloved Volunteers ~
The people here are so kind and they make you feel comfortable. I wouldn’t volunteer anywhere else, I love it here! AndreaThe ranch is very peaceful, fun and away from city troubles. Volunteering gives me a sense of satisfaction from helping the kids. Andria
My experience at SHRC changed me in ways most people would be lucky to experience for a small amount of time. The ranch became a place I feel comfortable and cared for, like a family who is willing to help anyone who is looking. I admit that before I began volunteering, it seemed dreadful to work at a place I was not familiar with or comfortable around, but I was open to learning what they had to offer and I would not change a second of the time I have spent here. SarahVolunteering has been quite therapeutic for me! RicardoVolunteering is very fulfilling. StacySHRC has been such an amazing experience! This place is so peaceful and honestly, there is no place like it. Victoria
Volunteering at SHRC brings me peace. Helping people is my passion and being around the animals helps me. The people here are fabulous. LaVada
Me and my daughter joined SHRC a year ago after searching for therapeutic riding centers. We chose SHRC because all the people volunteering here do everything from the heart 100% and it shows. Ary